Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Harvard Crimson



Saturday. No plans and no hangover. A full day for doing… Good question actually. I could of course always work but with temperatures in summer-mood and clear sky something outside was definitely preferable. Compared to Denmark, college sports are a REALLY big deal in The States (as you may already know). I live right across the river (Charles River) from the Harvard Athletics Facilities at Soldier’s Field. I decided that today was going to be a day of watching the undergrads do their best for the pride of their schools and themselves, of course. I packed my backpack with a camera, an apple and to cokes. 
As I got outside my door I could already hear the music playing from the speakers. Now, you might think from one stadium. No, no, no... There amazing facilities: Two boat houses, a soccer field, out- and indoor Tennis courses, an indoor running track, an outdoor athletics field and track, ice hockey stadium, basketball stadium, baseball field, softball field, rugby field, hockey field, volleyball stadium, swimming stadium (in Cambridge though), and the old and proud Harvard stadium (+30,000 capacity) for Football, Lacrosse and soccer as well (and I have probably missed something). The athletes and teams are the Harvard Crimson, which is also the name of the reddish color of Harvard.
As an avid baseball fan (one of the few European ones, I know) I decided to start at the baseball field. Many people were already seated: Parents, friends, alumni, and of course kids who would try to catch one of the foul balls. After rising and facing Stars and Stripes while listening and humming along to The Star Spangled Banner the game started. They were facing Princeton. Harvard is not known for it’s top sports teams (although that had had previous Olympians as seen in the Social Network). Actually, I think that without offending anyone I can say that it goes for all the Ivy League schools. However, interesting and close games are maintained because the Ivy League schools are only competing against each other in… the Ivy League. Though I must admit that it’s not that they are bad. They were actually pretty good. There are just schools and teams that are even better.
I really like the fact that sport and competing in sport are such big things here. I can say without blinking it is not in any way encouraged by the school system in Denmark (and I guess in most of Europe). But I totally agree that sport is good not only for getting you in shape, but also for learning being part of a team, working towards a goal, pushing your limits, and being rewarded when you succeed. At Harvard Department of Athletics it’s called “Education through Sport”, and more than that they believe that by doing this they are “Building Community and Pride in Harvard”. I totally and absolutely agree. However, it’s not only for the elite, as “Students should have opportunities to participate and compete as appropriate to their interest and skills.”
After the baseball game I watched a little softball and then went to the tennis center to watch a little of the. The biggest event of the day was the men’s lacrosse game against Cornell at Harvard Stadium (the game was even being broadcasted on TV). Two weeks ago I had no idea what lacrosse was, but since it’s big thing at least on the east cost I leaned a little about it online. I watched only a part of the of the game and felt that the fact that my skin was Scandinavian White, the sun was burning nicely and that sun screen in early April was not a part of my daily routine, heading home was probably not a bad idea (at night with red arms and neck I was proven right – even an hour earlier would have been a good idea).
I love the idea that sport is such a big thing in school for so many reasons and would lie if I said I wasn’t a little bit jealous. I got home just in time to watch the RedSox loose to the Yankees (the big baseball rivalry). Damn! As the Bostonians don’t hesitate to say: Yankees Suck!

This truly was a Day of Sports.

No comments:

Post a Comment