Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Class at MIT


MIT from Charles River
My first class at MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) was yesterday. The research fellows at our lab tend to sit in on the classes of the two courses that our professor teaches at MIT about “Design on medical devices/implants” and “cell/matrix interactions”. Basically we were supposed to follow the entire course, but it turned out the classes were already fully booked by MIT grad students. We were still allowed to sit in the lectures that we would find of particular interest. Anyway, this was my first class since I graduated medical school. I’ve never been too fond of going to class. I usually blame the teachers for my lack of interest. I guess that’s easiest way. I got to MIT, which is actually were nice looking (from the outside); beautiful buildings right by Charles River and much closer to downtown Boston, but on the Cambridge side just as the Harvard main campus. On the inside though, most of it looks like the boring halls and classrooms in the movie “Good Will Hunting” (which it actually is exactly that). I think the newer parts are more interesting, but sightseeing would have to wait for another time.
I got there right on time meaning that most of the seats were already taken. I got to sit right up front, which has never been my favorite. You’re right on the frontline when the lecturer decides to ask improvised questions, and also, you don’t have a good overview of the class. The lecture was very relevant for my research project. It was going to be by a previous PhD-student from the lab that had done a lot of the groundwork for the studies I am doing. He is now a post doc at Harvard by the way – and a really nice guy. But he was running late. Our professor was already there (apparently he had taught a class that had been just as relevant for me) so he started going through answers of their previous homework assignment. Interesting actually, I have to admit, but I was also relieved that homework was pretty much a closed book for me at the moment.
When he finally arrived, a bit short breathed, most of his background and previous achievements were introduced by our professor. The lecture was good and very helpful, but the questions from the students were pretty impressive. That being said, as it often is (I guess) 90 percent of the questions were asked by 10 percent of the students... Afterwards the professor took over and discussed the latest achievements in the field and the questions to be asked. Also, he mentioned scientific projects that would be relevant for this topic. All added up, I don’t think this was my last time attending class, but next time I want to sit in the back. I like it better that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment